Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bodily fluids and food... really?

I have to tell you about a pretty bone-headed thing a nurse did today. I was working in the blood bank and typically when a patient has special needs for their blood products, we have a nurse come down and get it as it is hard to replace if it gets lost in our pneumatic tube system.

So..... a nurse walks in to the blood bank with her soup, crackers, and fountain pop and says, "I'm here to pick up some blood."

My eyebrows raise as I look at her food. She sheepishly tries to hide it with her other hand.. which is holding her pop. I proceed to tell her, " You are absolutely not picking up blood with food". She then proceeds to question me and says "Really?"

Imagine the scene: I am standing there in scrubs, closed toed shoes, lab coat and gloves and she brings in soup, crackers and pop. Really? She is asking for Hepatitis!

2 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Wouldn't that have been an interesting scene if CAP had been there?

B Haack said...

OHHHHHH That will make for a good story next year on the safety discussion!

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner